Tube Rage was made for my final major project on my prosthetic make-up degree at LCF. My project explored the idea of the duality of man and the outcome of repressing our primal instincts. The beast within; a double which lies unconsciously within us all, as a counterpart to our rational self that we project to conform within society.
The monster is based on classic werewolf imagery, which is typically restricted to the horror genre, but I wanted to apply it to real circumstances in society where animalistic behaviour can begin to manifest. My aim was to create a short teaser film exploring this idea of repressed primal behaviour being forced to emerge within in everyday situations, unleashing our usually constrained primal double within.
Basically I just wanted to make a werewolf! So here’s the technical process I went through to make my classic movie monster, it’s probably a lot longer than you think! Firstly I had to have a willing model ready to be slightly tortured for 6-8 weeks; my boyfriend seemed the perfect candidate. I began by casting his full head/face, hands and his back as all the pieces have to be individually made to the model for a perfect fit.
Once I had the plaster casts of all his body parts I could sculpt on top of them to make my exaggerated werewolf pieces. I used Chavant clay to sculpt all the separate more detailed pieces. For the back I used regular clay to build up a large surface area, creating expanding shoulder blades and a prominent spine.
I filled the hand and face moulds with foam latex. The back piece had a latex skin and was filled with expanding cold foam to create the volume but still be lightweight, and the balaclava piece was a slush mould, which means layers of latex and tissue painted over a sculpt to mimic the shape.
Once I had all the pieces I pre coloured then to save time on the day. For the balaclava piece I laid on yak hair and I individually punched in hair to the back piece to look as if it was actually growing from pores, adding to the realism.
On shoot day I simply applied all the pieces together, I say simply, the application of the make up alone took nearly 3 hours to apply. As finishing touches I added details such as nails and contacts, got him into his doppelganger costume and 6 weeks after my gradual making process began I had created my werewolf! I think he appears on screen for all of 5 seconds, but my childhood dream of creating a werewolf for a film has been fulfilled, so I’m happy!
The finished piece…